martes, 18 de julio de 2006

Ten Days In

After a day of being continuously awed by God’s involvement in my day of travel, my plane landed in Asuncion, Paraguay, around midnight on Fri PM/ Sat AM. Bob and Carol Givens, the seasoned missionaries who will be responsible for my transition into Paraguayan life, picked me up and drove me 3 hours south to their home in Villarica, a town/ city of 40,000 residents (in addition to about 30,000 residential college students from the surrounding areas). Saturday night, they held youth group at their home and I got to meet several 15-21 year olds. Sunday morning, 150 people gathered in their back yard for a monthly church service. After the service, the whole church ate together and played games, and then the Givens packed up and we left for SIM Paraguay’s annual Spiritual Life Conference, a week where all of the SIM missionaries gather at a campground for worship, fellowship, and teaching.

At the conference, I was blessed to have meaningful conversations, fun playing volleyball and catch-phrase, and spiritual preparation for the coming months. Most of my teammates are between 25 and 35 years old, married, and actively parenting several young children. As I am missing my own sisters and nephews, I’m thankful for the chance to be involved in the lives of other young families. Getting to know the other single person on the team, Fiona Cooper, was also a real blessing. Fiona is from the UK, currently teaching English at a university in Asuncion, and 6 months into a 2 year term. Additionally, we spent a lot of time with Hannah Smith, an MK from Kenya, who will be in Villarica with me for the next 3 weeks. Spiritually, God just showed up over and over again, assuring me that His presence would continue to surround me in this new season of my life. He is so good.

This past Friday, the conference ended and I joined 9 adults and 5 kids on a trip to Iguazu Falls, the most amazing waterfalls in the world. I’ll post pictures. They seriously put Niagra to shame. They are in the area where Paraguay, Argentina, and Brazil meet. Also, its convenient location makes the Paraguayan boarder city, Ciudad del Este, the black market capital of South America! Exiting, huh?:) At the end of the bridge that connects Brazil and Paraguay, all cars are searched because Paraguay taxes all goods coming into the country (for sale in Ciudad del Este). Things being carried in on foot, however, are not subject to this tax (because the assumption is that people are carrying it in for their own use, as opposed to resale). To get around this tax, trucks are unloaded on the Brazilian side, and then carriers are hired to carry the goods across the bridge. Once on the Paraguayan side, moto taxis wait to take the carriers back to the Brazilian side so they can do another round! I have a picture of some girls throwing boxes over the bridge to a boat below that collected the merchandise! Ah, yes, it was an exciting trip, indeed. Unfortunately, it’s usually the only city that tourists ever see in Paraguay, so they leave with a negative and very incorrect perception of this hospitable country. Back to the falls, though. The falls were amazing. What more is there to say. When you all come to visit, I’ll take you. Until then, I’ve posted a few pictures and a 15 second video that I took while there. Had I been alone, I could have stayed for hours…

Tomorrow, I’ll do laundry, regroup, and possibly move in to my host family’s home. The Ortizes have 2 daughters, Anita who is 21 and Naomi who is 14.

As far as how I’m doing, I’m wonderful. I’m so excited to be finally living the days I’ve dreamt about for the last 10 years. I love all of the newness. I am amazed by the need to slam on the breaks for the random cows that in the roads, receive odd satisfaction from the nausea that comes from the bumpiest cobblestone on which I’ve ever ridden, still appreciate the roosters who wake me between 5 and 6 each morning, savor the smell of empanadas and chipa in the streets, am willingly allowing myself to become addicted to terare, the national drink, adore the language and perspectives of my Canadian and British colleagues, and LOVE playing games with Paraguayan youth who make fun of my Spanish. This first week, I’ve easily taken over 500 photos, (and deleted over half of themJ). More than anything, though, I’ve loved resting in the knowledge that I’m where the Lord wants me, and that He will never leave me or forsake me.
As far as prayer goes, please pray that I adapt to the lack of time alone. Basically, I’ve been with people almost the entire time I’ve been here. Despite the wonderfulness of my teammates, it’s been exhausting! I probably haven’t had as much time by myself as what I require to function long-term. I went into this week understanding that I was being given an incredible chance to begin building relationships with my new teammates. Since most of them live at least 3 hours away from my new home of Villarica, the time at camp was a unique time. Ideally, however, I would have had a bit more time by myself to process all of the newness. But I didn’t and God’s grace has been working overtimeJ I would imagine, though, that my life with the Ortiz family will not include as much independence as what I’ve been used to, either, so just pray that I’m flexible and the Lord supplies my lack.

Also, despite being surrounded by people all the time, I’ve had times of feeling alone, as well, and have felt fearful about the loneliness that these next several months will bring. Up until the week before my arrival, I was anticipating fellowship with 3 other single young women who would be arriving, this summer. In a matter of 2 weeks, though, I’ve been disappointed to learn that they will all be working in other cities. The Lord has made it clear that He plans to richly bless my relationship with Him in these next 5 months. And He has certainly proven His love for me, so I completely trust Him. This peace, however, has come only after a few tears. Please pray that I come to know Him as my companion and friend.

So, that’s my life. Sorry this is so long. I think this is longer than any e-mail you will ever receive from me, but I went with it since it has been such a big first week. Thanks for your patience and friendship. You’re great. Come to Paraguay.

No hay comentarios: