martes, 24 de marzo de 2009

divided heart

Hi dear readers. Well, it’s been a while. Last night I was trying to explain to my grandma why I was late for dinner, and she responded, “I know, it was all of those kids you had to take care of!” I felt a bit foolish. Thankfully, I don’t take myself too seriously and was able to eat the humble pie I was served. I feel that I’m in the same place where blogging goes. Why haven’t I posted? It’s not exactly that I’ve been too busy… I don’t really have much to say. But yet I have everything to say. My head and heart are both full and empty, these days. It’s almost as if they’re too full of conflicting thoughts and emotions that I can’t articulate anything or sort any of it out. So they come across as being almost blank. The other day my dad and sister were commenting on my lack of blogging, though, and my dad said that people like unsorted thoughts… So I’ve decided to share some of mine. The following is something that I wrote (and didn't edit!) a few weeks ago, trying to sort it all out. Read with grace…

How's the transition going? First of all, it’s been amazing. I’ve just loved reconnecting with people I love. This afternoon I was over at my sister’s house. This last week she and her husband have been in Ethiopia adopting a 6 month baby girl, and I’ve gotten to spend a lot of time with their 3 little boys. Before leaving, she told me that her youngest was feeling shy towards me, which is completely understandable given that I’ve been gone for the majority of his life! Well, I made sure to prioritize plenty of special “Owie and Alyssa time” while she was in Ethiopia, and today I saw proof that I’d finally secured a place in his heart. We were in the nursery when Owen got up from his nap and wanted Mommy to get him something from downstairs. Mommy, however, was occupied with the new baby, so she could not help. I offered to go down with him, assuming that he wouldn’t want me because he’d woken up feeling very clingy, and he responded by holding up his arms for me to pick him up! And after his snack we cuddled in the chair and read a book. Life was good.

It’s also been amazing to go to church again. I’ve loved singing familiar songs during the time of musical worship. I’ve loved learning new ones in English. I’ve loved listening to my pastor preach in English. I’ve loved attending a women’s Bible study and not leading it (in English). I’ve loved being a real part of Christ’s local body, as opposed to always feeling “other” and not wanting to become too involved lest I create dependency. I’ve felt so cared for by people who approach me in the lobby and tell me that they have been praying for me these last 3 years.

However, there are also things that I don’t love a whole lot. I don’t love having to drive to get places. In Paraguay I could walk most places in Villarrica, and I took a public bus to get between cities. I miss that. Here, I have to go down to the basement and use our treadmill if I want to rebel against my increasingly sedentary lifestyle. That’s a little depressing. Neither do I love having to stay inside because it’s so cold. In Paraguay we didn’t have air conditioning or heat, so there wasn’t a huge difference between being indoors and out. And even though it was freezing in the Paraguayan winters, the sun was always out so sometimes I would go out onto my balcony in the dead of winter so I could soak in some of the warmth from the sun. I also don’t love the complexity of our lives, here. In Paraguay we had our big meal in the afternoon, and then snacky things for dinner. Also, Paraguayans only use like 10 different foods and cook them all up in different ways. If they have a tomato, carrot, green pepper, onion, garlic, beef, rice, salt, and flour, they’re set for a week. There’s not a ton of variety to their diets, and they’re fine with that. Here, though, we get tired of eating the same thing several days in a row. Everything feels like a bigger deal. I loved the simplicity of Paraguay. And I liked eating my main meal in the middle of the day. And I’m finding the price of new clothes to be quite annoying.

Way harder than those little differences, though, is the emotional confusion. I really miss Paraguay, yet I’m so glad I’m home. Furthermore, I am getting really weary of people. I absolutely love my family and have been dying to be a part of their lives. Yet I’m feeling tired at the same time. Last month my brother and his wife moved to Chicago. I was SO happy to finally be able to be a part of their lives and help them move. Yet I just wanted to be alone. I am exceedingly thankful to be home during this incredible period of my sister’s family’s life. I’m so thankful that I got to help babysit my nephews, last week, while Danielle and Karl were in Africa getting Selah. I wouldn’t have traded one second of it for anything in the world. And I’m so thankful for the freedom to spend lots of time playing aunt and sister, this next week, while Danielle adjusts to life with 4 little ones. But even though I wouldn’t trade it, at the exact same time I just want to be alone. I’m thrilled that my best friend, Sarah, only lives 2 hours away and that we’re meeting for lunch this week, yet I don’t feel like making the drive. I’m thinking about Fiona, Renee and the kids, Amy, and Carol all the time, and am missing them like crazy, yet the thought of writing is so daunting that I’ll go days without even checking my e-mail. I’ve probably checked Facebook twice in the last 2 months because it’s so overwhelming and depressing. And speaking of faltaing in my communication, both Dana and Angela have written or called, and I would genuinely love to catch up with them. But I haven’t called them back because as much as I want to see them, I just want to be alone.

So what’s it been like to be home? Wonderful, draining, and confusing. All at the same time. I wouldn’t trade my life for anything in the world, but tonight I feel tired. Yet I don’t want to miss out on anything, so I won’t say no. So I want to go over to Danielle’s tomorrow. And I want to drive to see Sarah on Tuesday. And then I want to go over to Danielle’s on Wednesday. I’m so excited that Owen’s bonding with me. I’m so glad I get to pay special attention to the older boys while so much focus is (rightly) on their new baby sister. I’m absolutely loving the fact that I’m the one who gets to help out my sister. Seriously. Loving it. But at the same time, I just want to be alone. It’s a bit confusing, really. Oh, and nobody will drink terere or mate with me.

8 comentarios:

Fiona L Cooper dijo...

You are wonderful and I miss you and I pray you manage to get the space you need and the people time you need, in the proportions you need at this confusing, transitioning time...

Very well written! TQM

Jeff and Amy McKissick dijo...

praying for you Alyssa....thanks for sharing. I think your feelings are quite normal. It helps me to know more how to pray before we go back. Miss you too.

Breuer Adventures dijo...

I'll drink mate with you!!! Just bring more hot water next time.
Although I don't really like terere, I am willing to try it again.
This week I tried some yerba mate tea bags that have a chai flavor added. It was good, but I am sure the price would be another shock.
The girl prayed for you this morning.
Love you, Linda

Unknown dijo...

We miss you so much, too, Alyssa! Life just isn't the same here without you. And I can relate to your confusion...I live in a constant state of it, myself....for no good reason!
I'm praying for you daily, Alyssa.

Danielle dijo...

Thanks for your honesty. Honestly, with as much as I expected of you (or asked, not really expected) these first weeks, no wonder you're exhausted. Truly, sometimes all you have to say is, "Danielle, I'm an introvert. Kind of. Or, Danielle, today I need to be an introvert. And I'll try to not be a brat (I know, I know, hard to do) and understand completely...with no strings attached. I think you're amazing and I love you and I'm so glad you're home!!!!

paraguayalyssa dijo...

Danielle- you completely missed my point! I WANTED to do it! I've been waiting 3 stinkin years to be a part of your kids' lives! That's the confusion/ frustration- I wouldn't have it any other way. Don't you DARE think you asked too much of me! I can't tell you how good it feels to GET to be the one who comes over. And I got to illegally hold Selah for a minute a day, at that! I LOVE MY LIFE!

Anónimo dijo...

Alyssa, it was good to read your thoughts about returning to life in the US. Reverse culture shock is no simple thing and takes time. Have you thought of going away somewhere for a day or two where you can be totally by yourself? It doesn't mean you don't love your family or best friends it just means that you need some quiet time away from the hustle and bustle of life to be still with God. I think that He is the only one who can bring peace and understanding during this time of change.
Paul & I are in Kenya right now for a leadership conference with SIM. We've talked a lot about this very subject - getting quiet and still before God.
We miss you and love you. Paul & Becky

brenda chopson dijo...

welcome home alyssa i am so happy you are home please email me when you get time i would love to see you and catch up with you i dont think anyone realizes how much you mean to me not even you you are like the big sister i never had and when we lost contact it about killed me so much has happend in my life that i want to share with you so please get a hold of me as soon as you get time hope to talk to you soon love and miss you soo much
in christ
brenda chopson
ps my email is brendachopson@yahoo.com